1. Welcome to the community at SNOWMAN'S RAINCOAT REVIEWS.

You are currently viewing our discussion boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most conversations and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to participate in discussion threads and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, participate in contests and special real time events, use the chat room and much more!. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! To sign up, click on the big button on the top right sidebar that says "Sign up Now!"

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hello Guest! Our records indicate that you have never posted to our site before! Why not make your first post today by saying hello to our community in our Introductions forum and telling us a little about yourself? Become an active part of the SRR community now and make new friends!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please do *not* post any photos on the forum. If you want to share a image, you can post a text link to it that is hosted on another site. Members who do not follow this rule will lose posting privileges. Thank you for your cooperation!
    Dismiss Notice

New Movies 2017 Premieres (assorted)

Discussion in 'mainstream media' started by AbeKanan, Jun 17, 2017.

1. AbeKanan

AbeKanan Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhh! :smile: it's summer time and here comes the big box office bonanza movies!
    Let's start off with Tom Cruise's "The Mummy" (2017) Universal release

my verdict : NOT good (n)
    snoozefest.
    all the best scenes are in the trailers.
    script sucks, dialogue sucks, the supporting cast sucks. Its a miscast, including Cruise as the headliner. The addition of Russel Crowe was useless. He sucked too.
    In short, this had zero appeal to me.
    I am still a fan of the last Mummy trilogy. Including the spin-off of "Scorpion King" with Kelly Hu, which was my main interest in that movie.
    In 2017 Mummy, none of the female leads even tingle'd:unsure: me.

2. Snowman

Snowman Your Host

I rarely watch trailers now because they contain too many spoilers.

3. AbeKanan

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Soars Past $500M, Tom Cruise's 'The Mummy' Drops 69%

Scott Mendelson :
    In grimmer holdover news, Universal/Comcast Corp.'s The Mummy sank like a stone in weekend two. The Tom Cruise/Sofia Boutella picture, which is supposed to launch the studio's Dark Universe franchise, earned just $3.778 million on its second Friday, a horrific drop of 69% from last Friday. Unless I missed one, that's Cruise's worst Friday-to-Friday drop ever on the second weekend. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back fell 57% on its second Friday last year and ended up falling 57% on its second weekend.

That looks to be the case for The Mummy, with a likely $13.2 million (-58%) second Fri-Sun frame and a lousy $55.8m domestic total....

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Snowman

Snowman Your Host

That article makes it sound like The Mummy is a big flop but the opposite is true. It's the #01 movie around the world right now. Worldwide gross prior this weekend was already $187,000,000 and the budget was $125,000,000. So, it's already highly profitable. More and more I have noticed this to be the case - where films earn more around the Globe than in the USA. Which is interesting, because that means even if movies may not be that popular here, they will still get green-lighted by the studios. In the end analysis, foreign markets may drive Hollywood!

Domestic: $46,410,700 24.8%
    + Foreign: $140,757,046 75.2%
    = Worldwide: $187,167,746

5. Snowman

Snowman Your Host

Just out of curiousity, I checked out the 2nd Jack Reacher installment - same story! Production budget was $60,00,000 so it was also highly profitable - thanks to the foreign market!

Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $58,697,076 36.2%
    + Foreign: $103,449,000 63.8%
    = Worldwide: $162,146,076

6. AbeKanan

That dude's math is mainly an evaluation of how movies make - domestically. I think his formula has something to do with how much the movie was made vs. what it makes it's first week. (Whatever that is?) Bottom line is, I agree with you. The big game-changer being the global receipts the movie gets on a worldwide venue. There's a couple of recent flops that did the same exact thing. One was the Ghost Busters(reboot) and Independence Day(2) are good examples. Another factor you can add on would be the DVD/Bluray sales and PPV as well.
    Although there are some real stinkers out there. But usually if you have star power in the movie, it normally does well outside of the US market.
    I think there's some that will be lucky to "break even" in the global market. One for sure is Superman vs. Batman. Not a good movie but it saved itself based on two well known characters with the addition of Wonder Woman.

7. Snowman

Snowman Your Host

LOL ... the truth is, I think it's hard NOT to make money in Hollywood if there a bankable star, franchise or character. Doesn't even matter if the movie stinks. They know it and that's why we continue to get crap. Batman vs. Superman was a fantastic success in terms of generating cash. It sold plenty of tickets here and did even better overseas.

Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $330,360,194 37.8%
    + Foreign: $542,900,000 62.2%
    = Worldwide: $873,260,194

Production budget ... $250 million.

8. Snowman

Snowman Your Host

Yes, and the rental market (like Redbox), cable rights, network/tv rights, soundtrack revenue, related book deals, cross licensing deals. The list goes on and on. It's a GRAVY TRAIN I'm telling ya.